Sunday 22 September 2013

Week II: African Safari

4 000 year old Baobab tree
Sept 22 2013

Week II: African Safari

4000 years old Baobab trees, lunch with a few elephants and a shower in the outdoors: yes, THIS IS HOW I SPENT MY WEEK-END.
Wow, how lucky I feel to have lived and witnessed the African nature.  

First, getting to Liwonde National Park.  Hmmm, how unfortunate I cannot share any of the odours, temperatures, and local radio stations with you.  Of course, it's all part of the experience, right ?  Now, even if the 2:30hr ride to Liwonde ended up being a 5 hour trip, I must say the Liwonde Safari Camp is kind of great.  The camp is self sufficient (energy wise), the food is great and accommodations are comfortable for the most part.  You can enjoy beautiful 360 degree scenery and wildlife from up close.  

The first part of the safari was a boat trip which included seeing crocodiles, elephants and hippos, hippos and more hippos.  Today, we got up at the break of dawn to go on an early morning game drive into the National Park.  Elephants, water bucks, antelopes, monkeys, 480 different bird species and wait for it… one of the 5 rhinos in the immense park joined our tour for a short moment.  And if you're wondering if these safaris are dangerous at all, let me tell you the rhino CHARGED AT US.  When I think of it now, it's kind of funny.  I forgot to mention that we were in an open Jeep with no protection.  Still funny, now that I think of it.  
Sunset on Shire River with the elephants!

As we then sat down for lunch back at the camp, 4 male elephants walked by.  NO BIGGIE.  

We also got to meet some locals, children for the most part, who seemed very excited and overjoyed to see and wave at us foreigners.  Getting out of busy Blantyre for a few days allows us to grasp the essence of rural Africa: which may seem quite simple, but is a truly precious experience. 

I would like to add that I have been writing a lot since I got here, but haven't posted much.  I will definitely be working on a few subjects and then posting them to my more "formal" blog.  Something else for you to follow !

Thank you for reading !

Sammy

 

Weekly assessment: 
1 rhino
1 eagle
Countless elephants, antelopes, impalas, monkeys and water bucks 

Having a rhino charge at you in his natural habitat: check

No comments:

Post a Comment