Sunday 15 September 2013

Week I

Sept 14th

I made it through my first week… more smoothly that I thought… or maybe not !  Fourteen hour flights, buses, trucks, taxis, mini buses… you may think this is me referring to a bumpy road when in fact, transportation has nothing to do with it. 

Now, Malawi has much more to offer and some areas are very well developed compared to what I expected.  You can find anything from a laptop to Nutella to fresh produce.  The weather is unimaginably perfect and the views (of Blantyre especially) are breathtaking.  Malawi is truly the "Warm Heart of Africa".  

That said, traveling to this warm weather country has its down sides.  On a personal note, it is quite hard and mostly tiring to constantly look out for your safety.  You can take all the measures in the world and a viral infection (I will be fine) can occur.  Aside from that, nutrition is also something that consumes our time.  Hopefully, I will develop an unprecedented immune system after this cold.

Also, who knew we depended on electricity so much (ha ha) ?!  The sun sets between 6 and 6:30pm and people rush to get home by dark.  As of now, the power goes out at 6pm and comes back around 10 o'clock.  Yes THIS IS QUITE IMPRACTICAL..  I've gotten used to candlelight by now.  

I work at AYIDO in the township of Ndirande in Blantyre.  It is a very highly populated community.  I presume I am the only foreigner within a few km… My workplace is very modest but the staff is hopeful that their sensitization and teaching activities will promote gender equality and HIV/aids prevention, amongst oth
er subjects.  

There are so many other facts and images I would like to share but in order to keep you reading I will try to be brief !

Zikomo,

S.

Hospital visit/more meds: check
Clubbing: check
Mini bus experience: check
Market shopping: check
Sipping chombe tea while watching the sunset on Kabula Hill: check

No comments:

Post a Comment